Forward By the Author

Hi there! You found the 'book blog'. Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it. Wherever you are in the reading, you can click on the menu to the left and pick up in the next chapter.

This post will be the fixed greeting, so don't look here for updates. They will be on your left. And they are in chronological order by chapter.

That ugly symbol in the upper left hand corner is like a copyright protection. If you click on it, you will see what you can and cannot do with the info from this site. Thanks and enjoy!

Oh, and throw the trash from your snacks away. I have enough to do without cleaning up after readers. ;0)

Enjoy!

Chapter Thirty

Sarah walked back to her apartment after the mall trip with Joyce. Joyce. She still couldn’t believe Mrs. Lepley wanted her to use her first name. She would have to get used to it.

Sarah noticed her bag still by the front door, ready to bring on her date with Tyler. A quick glance at the clock on the DVD player told her she had an hour and a half before Tyler came to pick her up.

Her hair was still up tight in the claw clip, and she was pleased with her clothing. After lunch she and Joyce had done some more window shopping, and Sarah had found a few pairs of earrings she liked. Joyce encouraged her to purchase them, saying she definitely needed them.

Sarah had laughed at the time, but Joyce explained that although Sarah needed to be careful with her spending, the earrings were on sale, and she had worked very hard to earn her full college scholarship, so she deserved a little treat for herself.

As she walked into her bedroom, she took them out of the small bag the store had placed them in, and held them each up to the light. The first pair was dangly; delicate, beaded silver metal chandeliers that matched the pink in her button up shirt exactly. She still felt little self-conscious buying things that weren’t necessary for survival, but that was something she would have to get over.

She put them on and looked at her reflection in the mirror above her dresser. She was pretty, she supposed. At least she looked presentable. She practiced the kind of smile she would use when she met Tyler’s parents.

After a few moments she started feeling silly, and quit. She saw her Bible in the reflection of the mirror. She had left it on her bed when she answered the door earlier that morning.

Sarah sat on the edge of her bed and prayed silently to the Lord.

Jesus, I am nervous. The closer the time comes to going, the more I don’t want to. I know Tyler is a nice guy, and his dad was really nice too, but what if I’m out of place at their house? Surely Tyler has told his mom about me. Please help me to be myself, to honor you with my words and actions, and to have a good time. Help me not to continue shutting people out.

Thank you for the Lepleys and the love they’ve shown me. I know Your people are so good. I am learning to be more open. I pray you would keep us safe as we drive around, and let it be a great time. I love you Lord, and thank you for letting me make a friend before I go away to school. It’s a nice feeling. In Christ’s name, amen.

Sarah wandered around her apartment for a while, restless. Even after putting away her few breakfast dishes, Tyler wouldn’t be coming for another hour. Sarah decided to go and see if Joyce needed help preparing food for the meeting she was hosting later that afternoon. Sarah wasn’t sure how many people were coming, but from the load of groceries Joyce purchased, Sarah thought it must be quite a crowd.

She decided it wouldn’t hurt to ask- the worst Joyce would say is no. If she would just be in the way, Joyce would tell her. Sarah took a last glance around to make sure everything was in place, locked her apartment, slipped her keys in her jeans pocket, and headed around to the front of the Lepley’s house.

*************

Joyce answered the door and was pleasantly surprised to see Sarah standing there. She looked like she needed something to keep her mind off the upcoming outing.

She opened the door with a smile, welcoming Sarah inside. After brushing her hands off on her apron, she asked “What can I do for you? Oh- those earrings make the outfit! Not that it didn’t look nice before, but those are just the right touch. Anyway, how can I help you?”

Sarah had lifted her hands to her ears at the mention of her new earrings, and was now lowering them back to her sides.

“Well, I have nothing to do, honestly, and I was wondering if I could help you prepare the food for your meeting? If I’ll be in the way, I understand. There’s always the TV downstairs, or my Bible I could read. Or I could walk laps around the back yard.” Sarah looked sheepish at her rambling.

Joyce laughed. “Goodness. I think that’s the most I’ve ever heard you say at once! You must be nervous. You just come on in here and help me out. I appreciate it. Hank likes to eat, but the prep work is not his forte. There’s lots to do.”

Sarah followed Joyce into the spacious kitchen, and was immediately handed an apron. She slipped it carefully over her head and tied it around her waist.

“You do not want those pretty clothes to get ruined mixing scone dough. Flour goes everywhere.” Joyce fluttered her hands about to illustrate her point. “The recipe is there on the counter. I just finished gathering the ingredients. Let me know if you have any questions.”

Sarah looked at the recipe, and was at a loss. She had never baked before. She thought maybe she could do something simple like chop up stuff, or wash dishes. Make scones on her own? No, this was beyond her. She was debating what to do about it when Joyce came up beside her.

“Sarah, have you ever baked before?” She asked kindly.

“No. I have no idea what to do. I mean, I can read the recipe, but I’ve never used a mixer or anything before. Could I wash dishes or something instead?” Sarah backed away from the counter a bit and looked hopefully at the sink.

Joyce put her hands on her hips and replied “Absolutely not! You need to learn to make things. Scones are really easy. I know it looks like a lot of instructions, but really they’re simple. Why don’t we make two batches and you can bring one with you to Tyler’s? That’s what we’ll do.”

So the next ten minutes were spent explaining baking terms, how to cut butter into flour, and then how to knead without overdoing it.

Sarah had successfully mixed in blueberries, patted the dough into a circle, and transferred it to the baking sheet without dropping or spilling anything.

She smiled at Joyce. “That was easier than I thought. Thank you.” She washed her hands in the sink and prepared to clean off the counter. “What’s next?”

“Well, now,” Joyce began. “I think the next thing to do is schedule cooking lessons. What do you say? We could do this every Saturday morning. We can bake, or cook- anything you like. And I would feel useful.”

Sarah didn’t know what to say. She was definitely interested. This had been a fun experience. She couldn’t wait to taste the scones, her first attempt at baking.

As Sarah put the baking pan in the oven, she answered “I think that would be great. I would love to learn how to cook. I’ve never had the chance to before, but I think I like it. Thank you, Joyce.”

Sarah then learned how to make the glaze that would be drizzled over the scones before putting them in a plastic container for traveling.

When they were all finished, Sarah had ten minutes before Tyler was supposed to come. She bid Joyce goodbye, let herself out, and tried to be calm as she carried the scones to her apartment at the back of the house.

She let herself in and checked her face in the mirror. She couldn’t see any flour, but she wiped at her cheeks just to make sure. She checked her hair again, was satisfied that it was holding fine, and sat on the living room, waiting. Her stomach felt nervous with excitement. She sat forward on the couch, then leaned back again, and finally stood looking carefully out the window. She hoped Tyler wouldn’t be late. The waiting was killing her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or is it way too ironic that the very last sentence is the "The wait is killing her." YOU are killing Sarah and me!! What happens on her date? What is in Sarah's diary? When does Monica some out of rehab? =] please update.

JulieMom said...

Hi there Anon!! Sorry about the long absence of writing. I've just updated with two new chapters and am working on a third. Thanks for the encouragement!! Hope you enjoy reading these next few installments. :0)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I realize you are busy being a missionary and mom. =] prayers! anon.